18 Savage Street, Charleston, SC
Our first Heritage candle was created from a section of floor joist from 18 Savage Street, Charleston, SC, located south of Broad Street. Savage and New Streets were created from a parcel of land called Savages' Green in 1792. This expansion along the western edges of the city was created by filling in the marshes of the Ashley River to accommodate the city's expanding population.
18 Savage Street was built circa 1890 in the area that was destroyed by the fire of 1861. It was built in the "Charleston Single" style. This style believed to be influenced by architecture used in Barbados was a singe room wide, multi-story home with a piazza. It's narrow end typically faced the street and was designed to catch the prevailing wind and help cool the home during the hot, humid summers of Charleston.
For more information on the "Charleston Single" house see;
Poston, Jonathan, The Buildings of Charleston, A Guide to the City's Architecture, Columbia, University of South Carolina Press, 1997.
Severens, Ken, Charleston Antebellum Architecture and Civic Destiny, Knoxville: University of Tennessee Press, 1988.